Saturday, July 23, 2016

Breaking Up is Hard to Do

I give up. I held out as long as I could. I just have to move on. We knew each other for a long time. I laughed at your jokes, even the lame ones. You helped me when I was lost. You taught me more things than I can remember. We had endless hours of fun together, but all good things must come to an end.

It was not an easy decision. It was hard, very hard. I believed in you. I put up with you quirks, your flaws, and your uneven temperament. I wasn’t worried that you couldn’t provide me with everything. I knew there were others that had a sleeker body, offered more of the nice little things. The things you did for me, you did so very well, and that was enough. I didn’t need all the flash and sexy looks the others had. But then you changed.

I know, you were trying to improve yourself. I know that you are making progress. I still want to be a part of that but I just can’t make it work. I give up. I’m switching away from Windows phone.

First Google Fiber came to my neighborhood. Who doesn’t want gigabit internet? The terabyte of storage on Google Drive. Recording eight different shows at the same time. I don’t even have eight shows I watch but still, I want it. Two millisecond ping and 900+mb internet speed.

I uploaded 50 gig of photos. Google analyzed them and cataloged them for me automatically. They even ran facial recognition and grouped pictures by the person in them. That is still freaking amazing to me.

Then, I signed up for Google Fi. Why not have cell phone that takes advantage of all that bandwidth? Plus, it is dirt cheap at $20 a month. The only catch, I have to say goodbye to my old friend, the Windows phone. Google Fi only works with the Nexus 5X and the Nexus 6 phones.

I loved my Windows phone. The live tiles are awesome. Cortana was my girl Friday. She knew all my old stomping grounds. She knew when I got to the office or when I got home. The Continuum concept is very interesting to me. I like the idea that I can plug my phone into a docking station and it becomes my desktop. I was very excited when I learned that I could install Windows 10 on my BLU HD LTE.

The reality of that upgrade did not match the fantasy. The phone became less dependable. There were more and more odd glitches. Things just wouldn’t work or apps closed down for no reason. At least no known reason. Then battery life changed and the phone would drain itself in half the time it used to. It was getting more frustrating instead of better. I’m sure the new Lumina phones are great with Windows 10. I’m just not ready to spend that on a phone.

 The Nexus 5x that I bought with Google Fi feels so much snappier. There is none of the lag that was starting to show with the BLU. I had access to all the apps that I had on Windows plus many, many, more. The apps on Android are much more polished and refined. The apps for Facebook, LinkedIn and several others were getting long in the tooth on Windows. They were in dire need of an upgrade. On Android, they receive frequent updates. It was hard to set aside my old friend.

Perhaps someday, we will meet again.

No comments: